Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organization providing assistance, protection and long-term solutions to displaced persons worldwide. We advocate the rights of refugees and internally displaced persons locally, nationally and internationally, in order to influence decision-makers to improve conditions for those affected by displacement. Our standby rosters â€“ NORCAP â€“ strengthen the capacity of the international community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC prioritizes the rights and protection of displaced people in disasters.
- We protect displaced people during and after disasters.
- We prevent displacement by building resilience in countries at risk.
- We deploy experts to strengthen the capacity of UN, regional and national partners who work on reducing disaster risks and adapting to climate change.
- We expand and share our knowledge through research and analysis.
- We achieve long-term policy solutions through advocacy.
- NRC works to prevent disaster and climate displacement, and strengthen resilience among displaced communities. Our climate and disaster work on the ground falls within three pillars:
- Short- and long-term environmental impact assessments.
- Design and use of programs that reduce negative environmental impact created by displaced populations and humanitarian aid.
- Community guidance on assessing environmental risks, adapting coping strategies and developing sustainable environmental practices.