United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)
City, Country: Multiple countries
Region of Work: 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121
Objective / Mission Statement:
OCHA’s mission is to:
- Mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies.
- Advocate the rights of people in need.
- Promote preparedness and prevention.
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
Area of work: 122, 123
Key activities relevant to PDD:
To coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors.
- OCHA sets an evidence-based and forward-looking humanitarian policy agenda to identify emerging trends and develop common or harmonized policy and advocacy positions among relief organizations.
- OCHA provides policy guidance and clarity on pressing issues to humanitarian practitioners and policy-makers, to help strengthen effective and timely response
- OCHA identifies best practices and lessons learned through the evaluation of humanitarian action to enhance effectiveness and the accountability of those involved
Communicating the right messages to the right people at the right time, including humanitarian agencies, NGOs, community-based organizations, national governments, local and international media, parties to conflict, companies, donors, regional bodies, communities affected by emergencies and the general public.
- Information management
OCHA offices collect and analyse information to provide an overview of protracted and acute emergencies.
- Humanitarian funding
OCHA coordinates global humanitarian funding appeals and manages global and country-specific humanitarian response funds on behalf of donors and the broader humanitarian system.