Thirty Key Publications on Disaster Displacement to Inform the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction 2022
To inform the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GP22) in Bali, Indonesia, from 23-28 May 2022, the PDD Secretariat has prepared a policy brief and key messages, as well as this non-exhaustive list of key publications on disaster displacement in collaboration with the PDD Advisory Committee.
They will allow you to familiarize yourself with the latest publications on disaster displacement, bringing in relevant perspectives from climate change, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and other relevant disciplines.
You may find further resources of relevance to disaster displacement more broadly in our Resources Section.
Protection and Internal Displacement:
- Nansen Initiative, 2015. Agenda for the Protection of Cross-Border Displaced Persons in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change.
- UNHCR, 2020. Legal considerations regarding claims for international protection made in the context of the adverse effects of climate change and disasters.
- Raoul Wallenberg Institute, 2019. Background Brief: Key International Standards and Guidelines Relating to Displacement in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change.
- UNSG, 2021. Report of the UN Secretary-General’s High-Level Panel on Internal Displacement: Shining a Light on Internal Displacement.
- Weerasinghe, S. 2021. Weathering the Storms: COVID-19, Disasters and Internal Displacement in the Asia Pacific in 2020. UNDRR and IOM.
- IFRC, 2021. Displacement in a Changing Climate.
- IPCC, 2022. Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability.
- UNFCCC, 2018. Report of the Executive Committee of the Warsaw International Mechanism for Loss and Damage associated with Climate Change Impacts.
- UNHCR, 2021. Strategic Framework for Climate Action.
- GNDR, 2021. Views from the Frontline: Perspectives of the Displaced. Summary of data.
- IDMC, 2019. Disaster displacement – a global review.
- IDMC, 2021. Global Report on Internal Displacement 2021.
- IOM, IDMC, 2021. Developing indicators for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Human Rights Council, 2017. Resolution adopted by the Human Rights Council on 22 June 2017 35/20. Human rights and climate change.
- Platform on Disaster Displacement, OHCHR, 2018. The slow onset effects of Climate Change and Human Rights Protection for cross-border migrants.
- Special Rapporteur on the human rights of internally displaced persons, 2020. Internal displacement in the context of the slow-onset adverse effects of climate change.
- Bower, E., Weerasinghe, S. 2021. Leaving Place, Restoring Home: Enhancing the evidence base on planned relocation cases in the context of hazards, disasters and climate change.
- Bower, E., Weerasinghe, S. 2021. Planned Relocation in Asia: A Regional Snapshot.
- Bower, E., Weerasinghe, S. 2021. Planned Relocation in the Pacific: A Regional Snapshot.
- Bower, E., Weerasinghe, S. 2021. Unpacking Spatial Complexity: Cased Studies of Planned Relocation with Multiple Origin and Destination Sites.
- IOM, 2022. Leaving Place, Restoring Home II: A Review of French, Spanish and Portuguese Literature on Planned Relocation in the Context of Hazards, Disasters and Climate Change.
Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies:
- UNDRR, 2019. Words into Action Guidelines on “Disaster displacement: How to reduce risk, address impacts and strengthen resilience.”
- Norwegian Refugee Council, 2020. Addressing Disaster Displacement in Disaster Risk Reduction Policy and Practice: A Checklist.
- Norwegian Refugee Council, Platform on Disaster Displacement, UNDRR, 2020. eLearning on “Disaster displacement: How to reduce risk, address impacts and strengthen resilience.”
- Nyandiko, N., Freeman, R. 2020. Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change Adaptation and Development Policies, and their Consideration of Disaster Displacement and Human Mobility in the IGAD Region.
- Yonetani, M. 2018. Mapping the Baseline – To what extent are displacement and other forms of human mobility integrated in national and regional disaster risk reduction strategies?
- IOM, 2017. Taking Sendai Forward: IOM Strategic Work Plan on Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience.
- IOM, 2020. IOM and the Sendai Framework: A Global Review of IOM’s Contributions to Strengthening Disaster Resilience.
- IOM, 2021. IOM Disaster Risk Reduction Report 2021. Addressing Mobility Challenges in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change: A Global Stocktake of IOM Activities in Disaster Risk Reduction.
- UNDRR, 2021. Scaling up Disaster Risk Reduction in Humanitarian Action 2.0.
Cover photo: © Logan Abassi/UN Minustah